CHARLES WILLIAM SELBY LANE
DOB 5 July 1956.
I have over 40 years experience with horses. There are few
areas of equestrianism with which I have not been involved:- I have experience
in Racing, Eventing, Show Jumping, Dressage, Hunting, Polo, Shows, Pony Clubs, Riding
Clubs, Riding Schools, Trekking Centres and Livery Yards.
Equestrian Expert Witness
In the last twenty years I have:
- Provided over 900 written expert witness reports for over 90 firms of solicitors as both a single and as a joint expert.
- Given oral evidence on over 50 occasions, in both the County Court and the High Court, in cases involving all areas of equestrianism.
- MA (Hons) Agriculture and Forest Science (Oxon)
- Postgraduate Diploma Equine Science, University College of Wales (Aberystwyth)
- Member of the Chartered Management Institute
- Have ridden numerous horses over the last 40 years
- Winner of numerous equestrian competitions
- Until 1999 competed successfully on a number of horses up to and including Advanced level at British Horse Trials Association Horse Trials – both 1 and 3 day events
- Past British One-Day Horse Trials Champion
- Show Jumped in BSJA Discovery and Foxhunter classes
- Ran my own small competition/hunter livery yard, including schooling young and problem horses
- Ridden out racehorses for many different trainers and raced as a successful Amateur Rider (see below)
- Have broken in (i.e. trained from unridden) competition and Thoroughbred horses, personally and in racing yards. Managed breaking of military horses for The King’s Troop RHA. Taught breaking procedure
- Educated in Pony Club system
- Played low-goal polo, horseball, tent pegging
Experience as a Riding Instructor and Equine Lecturer
- Current Registered British Horse Society Intermediate Instructor and British Eventing Accredited Trainer teaching a variety of private clients. Pony Club instructor over many years.
- Head of Equine Business Management at the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, 1994-99.
- Member of the Animal Care & Equine Training Organisation Horsemastership Working Group.
- Speaker at major British Horse Society, Pony Club, Association of British Riding Schools and Medical Equestrian Association Health and Safety seminars.
Experience in the Racing Industry
- For 16 years held a Category B Amateur Permit, allowing me to race against professional jockeys, in UK and Germany, in both flat and jump races. Past winner of the Grand Military Gold Cup plus other Hunter-Chases and Point to Points.
- Manager of the Racecourse Department of The Jockey Club and National Point-to-Point Controller, 1999-2000.
- Current Steward at Sandown, Kempton Park and Wincanton Racecourses and on Point-to-Point courses. Qualified Chairman for National Hunt and Flat meetings.
- Joint author (50% contribution) of British Horseracing Board Racecourse Training Manual.
- Jockey Club assessor for steeplechasers with poor jumping record.
Experience in the Competition Horse Sector
- Team Manager of the British Three-Day Event Team (1992-6) during which time the Team were World and European Champions and 5th at the Atlanta Olympics.
- Former member of British Eventing Rules Committee
- British Eventing, International Equestrian Federation and Pony Club Steward.
- Served as Chairman of the Medical Sub-Committee of the British Eventing Standing Committee on Safety of Cross-Country Courses in Eventing.
- Health and Safety Adviser to International One-Day Event.
- Referee for carriage Driving trials at Royal Windsor Horse Show.
- Foreign Delegate on Jury of Appeal for the USA National Driving Championships, 1990.
- Chaired disciplinary panels for the British Equestrian Federation, British Eventing and British Showjumping.
Experience in the Hunting Field
- Have hunted since 5 years old with over 10 packs of hounds in UK.
- Drag hunted in Germany and hunted in USA.
Other Equestrian Consultancy Work
- Equestrian professional on Harper Adams/Warwickshire University College Equine Degrees Validation Panel.
- Health & Safety advice to racing, eventing, and horse welfare yards and riding schools, and an international horse competition, including preparation of Risk Assessment and Health & Safety Policy.
- Member of DEFRA initiated Working Group investigating methods to counter increasing equestrian related insurance premiums
Military Equestrian Experience
- Commanding Officer, The King's Troop RHA, 1991-93, with responsibilities for 120 horses and 180 personnel including Farriers, Saddlers, Veterinary Officer, Horsebox Drivers, Grooms, Foragemen and Equitation Instruction Staff.
- Second-in-Command, The King's Troop RHA, 1985-88.
- Advanced Military Equitation Course 1984-85, top student.